Thursday, October 7, 2010

Oct. 6: What I’m Up To

Looks like I’ll be spending most of my time with the 3rd and 5th graders teaching them grammar, reading creative writing and spelling. Besides the academics I also get to teach 4th and 5th grade music (which consists of recorders for now) plus 2nd, 3rd and 5th grade singing during the school day. In the evenings I’ll be helping with the two choirs 4 days a week and checking in on the beginning piano students every day. I hope I can be of some help to them. So far I feel pretty comfortable with it all, but we’ll see how next week goes once we are in the full swing of things. My only concern is learning over 100 names like Madhubala, Marysheela, Karthikeyan and Janani.

And now for a quick people update: my peers consist of 11 other volunteers, 7 were here before I arrived (1 guys, 6 girls, all from the states), then 3 girls and one guy (he is the volunteer coordinator’s dad) came within a day of me including a girl from Germany. My roommate just so happens to be a Korean American and we have already bonded over the Jimjeelbong experience and other things Korean. =)

No comments:

Post a Comment