Tuesday, October 19, 2010

If I Could Talk to the Animals

There is a pretty interesting array of animals that we run into on a regular basis here at Shanit Bhavan. I have mentioned already that we have frogs and geckos that come and go as they please from our bathroom. These are welcomed roommates compared to the scorpions some have found on their beds and rats that have taken residents in other’s rooms. Someone even woke up in the middle of the night with one nibbling on her finger.

We also have a pack of wild dogs who have decided to live at the school. They are often seen around, and I have heard they get into a few squabbles, but I haven’t seen one yet. They are not aggressive towards people at all, thank goodness. We have also “adopted” a lone wild dog that are pretty sure was a pet at one time. One volunteer wants to call her Skeeter, but the majority of people who were not happy to have a wild dog hanging around called her Rabies. She now has a make shift collar and is loved and care for by most, ticks and all, but the name Rabies has stuck. A more recent development is that we are trying to nurse a kitten back to health, too.

The villagers come by every once and a while, and for those who have a view of the PT field from class, sometimes you see cows and sheep roaming around. The other day I went out for afternoon PT and got to see a new born lamb just a few minutes old.

And last but not least are the crows. If you leave your food sitting on the table unattended for too long they will come and eat it off the table. I had one of my pancakes taken this morning.

No comments:

Post a Comment